James 5:16 says “The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” Parents, how much have you tapped into this power? Today I would like to encourage you to pray for your children. And I don’t mean this in an ordinary way because I’m sure all you godly parents pray for your children everyday. The kind of prayer I am referring to is purposeful, specific and powerful because of how it is done. Sometimes we wait until we’re in a crisis situation to really pray about certain issues. For example should you pray about your child’s future spouse when he/she is still in primary school or when he/she begins dating a guy you don’t like? I’d say, pray in any case but it would have been better to begin praying before the situation happened. Here are five pointers on how to more effectively pray for your children:
- Pray for their protection physically and spiritually
- Pray that your child will come to have a personal and real relationship with God
- Pray that God would not only increase their knowledge but grant them wisdom and understanding as well so they will make good choices and do well in all they attempt
- Pray that your children will live a life that brings God glory and that they will seek to be witnesses for Him in their own way.
- Pray for their future spouses, that they will be spiritually fit persons so more Christ-centred homes can be created.
Build this into your prayer life everyday and see God do a greater work than you could ever do. And let me add that no matter where you are at now in your child’s development, from infancy to adulthood, it’s never too late to begin.
Love and Blessings