If you have been listening to our radio feature on NCU FM, we have encouraged you as families to read books together that can enhance your family life and would like to recommend some books to you that we have read, are currently reading or intend to read very soon. This first set we’ll be introducing you to are for the couples.
- Starting your marriage right by Dennis and Barbara Rainey and if you are newlywed, you need to get a hold of this book. The chapters are short and easy to understand and it helps you incorporate principles that will help you build a solid relationship that will stand the test of time.
- Adventist Home by Ellen G. White. Whether or not you are an Adventist, this book is awesome. It is probably the most comprehensive, bible based family life book out there.
- The Gift of Sex: A Guide to Sexual Fulfilment” by Clifford and Joyce Penner. (And just to interject here that all these books are written by Christians so you don’t have to be worried 🙂
- For better communication, read Heart to Heart: The Art of Communication by Nancy Van Pelt.
- If you want to be a better parent, a great book for you is Child Guidance by Ellen G. White. It’s an excellent book. By the way this book, Child Guidance, Adventist Home and Heart to Heart can all be obtained at any Adventist Book Store.
- A book we’re reading right now that we’re absolutely loving is 15 Minute Devotions for Couples by Bob & Emile Barnes and can I tell you that in addition to the Bible, reading a devotional that has been written for couples is an excellent relationship building tool.
- The Love Dare by Alex and Stephen Kendrick (based on the movie Fireproof that we recommend for every couple)” and this is basically giving very practical ways of increasing the love in your marriage.
- Family Fragrance by J. Otis and Gail Ledbetter and it gives “practical, intentional ways to fill your home with the aroma of love”.
- This final one is one of our favourites, The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. This one teaches you how to express your love in a language your spouse will be able to understand and appreciate. Trust me ladies and gentlemen, you have to pick up a copy of this book. We have grown so much by having read and we are sure you will too.
As you can imagine there are many other great books out there and we couldn’t include them all but get out and get reading. We wil certainly share more books as time goes by. Please share your thoughts on any of these books that you may have read.
Keane and Amoy